Six persons have been reported dead and about 30 others on danger list after inhaling generating set fume while attending a marriage ceremony in Umuomumu community of Mbaitoli local council, Imo State. The victims who were guests at the traditional marriage were evacuated from the celebrant’s house in an unconscious state.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Orlando Ikeokwu, said: “At about 8:00a.m. today (yesterday) one Herbert Uzoegbu reported that his brother, Raymond Uzoegbu, hosted the traditional wedding of his daughter on Sunday, which eventually lasted till late at night, that he went to check on the said brother this morning at about 7:00a.m. only to discover that they were still indoors. He knocked but no one answered.
“He broke into the house and discovered that everyone in the house were unconscious. He immediately alerted the police, a team of policemen led by the Divisional Police Officer, CSP Godwin Udom, arrived the scene and evacuated all the victims to the hospital, where it was discovered that six have already given up the ghost with about 23 others unconscious”.
The Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Ladodo, has ordered a full-scale investigation into the incident with a view to unraveling the misery behind the tragedy.