The Nigeria Police Force said it has arrested 33 suspected members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) connected to the killing of a police inspector, Akinbami Olaniyi, in Nnewi, Anambra state on 23rd November 2018.
In a statement released on Sunday by Jimoh Moshood, the Force spokesperson, said the suspects ambushed its men among which were “the Divisional Police Officer, Central Police Station (CPS), Nnewi, CSP Babalola Adewunyi, ASP Micheal Duru attached to Area Command, Nnewi and Inspector Akinbami Olaniyi attached to CPS Nnewi” and also set ablaze of a police patrol vehicle.
Moshood disclosed that while the victims were being rushed to the Hospital for medical attention the Inspector died, and other Police personnel are currently under intensive care in the hospital.
He said the team were mobilised to prevent the breakdown of law and order and mayhem after it received an intelligence report Friday that some members of IPOB were sighted gathering “in their hundreds with dangerous weapons near Teaching Hospital, Owerri Road, Nnewi about to cause disturbance”.
However, the team were ambushed by the suspects and carted away two (2) AK47 Rifles and one Beretta Pistol with ammunition.”
He also stated that they “attacked other innocent people on sight with machete and other dangerous weapons as they marched towards the Agboedo Market shouting “NO ELECTIONS WITHOUT REFERENDUM”.
According to the Police, the suspects, who were arrested on Saturday, would be arraigned in Court on completion of an investigation under Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act 2013.
On September 20, 2017, the federal government labelled the IPOB as a terrorist organisation.
Moshood also said the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, has directed the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State to carryout intense search operations for the recovery of the two AK47 rifles and one Beretta Pistol with the ammunition snatched from the slain police inspector and other police officers wounded by the suspects.
He is also carrying out an operation “to rout and arrest other fleeing suspects who participated in the ambush of the police personnel and bring them to justice”
Below are the names of the suspects and exhibits recovered according to the police:
1. UCHE AMOS, 65Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
2. ELIAZER EMMANUEL, 24Yrs, from Umunneochi LGA, Abia State
3. ELIAZER CHIMA, 23Yrs, from Umunneochi LGA, Abia State
4. ABUCHI OBETA, 19Yrs, from Nnewi South LGA, Anambra State
5. SOMTOCHUKWU OKAFOR, 17Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
6. AGBOMA JUDE, 35Yrs, from Nsukka, Enugu State
7. EZEZONA ODUAGU
8. KELECHI EZE, 20Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
9. OKAFOR CHIMIERE OLISA, 20Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
10. RAPHEAL OGOH, 27Yrs, from Nnewi South LGA, Anambra State
11. OKEKE CHISOM, 19Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
12. DANIEL NWAKPU, 35Yrs, from Ikwo, Ebonyi State
13. FRIDAY NWAFOR, 34Yrs, from Ishielu LGA, Ebonyi State
14. ONYEKA NWAJOBI, 49Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
15. OBETA UWAKWE, 25Yrs, from Igboeze North LGA, Anambra State
16. FESTUS ODIKA, 41Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
17. EMMANUEL OKOYE, 22Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
18. UMEH SUNDAY, 43Yrs, from Aguata LGA, Anambra State
19. IKE CHIEMEZIE SAMUEL
20. SUNDAY ILONZE, 43Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
21. CHUKWUEMEKA NWAESE, 32Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
22. ODUGU CHIMA, 23Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
23. JACOB MONDAY, 48Yrs, from Nnewi South LGA, Anambra State
24. VINCENT OKOROAFOR, 39Yrs, from Owerri North, Imo State
25. JUDE EKE, 32Yrs, from Igboeze South LGA, Enugu State
26. CHARLES UKAZU, 35Yrs, from Ideato South LGA, Imo State
27. EZIEOKWU ERNEST 17 YRS, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
28. CHIBUIKE OZOEMENA, 30Yrs, from Ikeduru LGA, Imo State
29. CHIGOZIE ONYEOGAZIRI, 46Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
30. NWANKWO DONATUS, 48Yrs, from Orumba South LGA, Anambra State
31. OKAFOR OLISA, 20Yrs, from Nnewi North LGA, Anambra State
32. PETER NWANKWO, 25Yrs, from Nnewi South LGA, Anambra State
33. EBEGBONI GEOFFREY, 43Yrs, from Ika South LGA, Delta State
1. Eight motorcycles
2. Five IPOB Flags
3. Five IPOB Caps